Can you pair Halloween goodies with your favorite wine?
At first glance, most people’s faces cringe…the idea of sipping an acidic beverage after ingesting that sugary treat is not the most appealing. But with every challenge there are experts and voila!
Pairing Candy & Wine
Experts say if you want to indulge in the Halloween candy – there is actually a perfect pairing with your favorite wine!
1. Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Sherry. The raisin, caramel, and almond flavors of the Sherry help enhance the creamy peanut butter filling.
2. M&M’s and Port wine. The dark, sweet, black fig and dried fruit notes of Port counter-balances the milk chocolate in M&M’s.
3. Hershey Kisses and Zinfandel. It contrasts the creamy milk chocolate with ripe berry flavors, and will supposedly turn every bite into a quote, “raspberry cordial on the palate.”
4. Twix and the Portuguese wine Madeira. Coconut and caramel both complement the brown sugar nuttiness of Madeira.
5. Sour Patch Kids or Sweet Tarts and Riesling. The sweetness of the Riesling counters the candy’s tartness, and finishes with a cleansing kick of acidity.
Enjoy your treats and remember…if you “trick or treat” and sip…don’t drive!
After a quick Tim Horton’s breakfast and coffee, we were fuelled and ready to start Day 2. While allowing the coffee and food to settle, we decided to check out the local Kelowna Farmers’ & Crafters’ Market. The market allowed a quick glimpse at all unique crafters and great produce Kelowna and surrounding areas had to offer. We picked up a few snacks that we would enjoy from winery to winery and started heading toward the West Side Wine Trail, the first of two trails we would complete that day.
The West Side Wine Trail is situated in beautiful West Kelowna. Compared to the wineries of the first day, The Kelowna Fab Five, these wineries operated on a much larger scale. Another distinguishing quality of all these wineries were their incredibly breathtaking views…the wine wasn’t too bad either!
It’s been a while since our last post. We’ve been up to a lot but here is our most recent exciting news.
When one only considers strictly the symbiosis of wine and chocolate, it is easy to conclude that there is little to suggest that they actually complement one another…other than to say that both have a somewhat “guilty pleasure” trait…and both are very desirably complex items over which wars have been fought!
The increasing lovers of wine and chocolate will tell you that this is a better match than wine and cheese. After all, cheese is made (mostly) with milk, and milk is the opposite of wine.
Try this: take a sip of wine (don’t let me twist your arm, now). Now, eat a piece of your favorite dark chocolate. Now Continue reading
We know that wine can definitely make you merrier, but can drinking actually make you smarter? I remember that when my neighbor recounted the unfortunate incident of him being stopped and convicted of DUI, his reaction was: Boy, that made me smarten up!
I was compelled to conduct my own research and started by posing the question to loyal Wine Awakenings customers and followers of this blog. I was astounded by the results and I will be sharing some of those stories in the new year.
I’m glad to report, however that the answer is an emphatic YES! (Even though further experimentation is warranted…and encouraged… by all…) Continue reading